Wednesday 9 April 2014

International Coffee Hour

An International Coffee Hour took place today at our University. We were divided into several teams, each concerned with different country. Agata and I represented Poland, and rest of Poles agreed to help other teams with preparations. There was also Austrian, Russian, Czech and Norwegian group. It turned out that even our teacher - Maria, who is from Spain, decided to prepare a traditional dish.

Here is the poster:


Do you recognize these pictures, huh? ;)


 Olga brought the matryoshka dolls, one of the most recognizable things from Russia, I think.


I baked a gingerbread cake and Agata fried faworki. Actually, many people were asking about it, as if they saw it for the first time. Faworki derive from Poland, but Norwegians have something very similar called 'fattigmann' (= poor man). As one man explained - it was made with alcohol, that was really expensive. So if someone managed to prepare this dish, automatically became a poor man, because of spending a lot of money for the ingredients. Interesting! During the whole meeting Agata was explaining how she did that. When someone asked me, I just said that it's fattingman or angel wings, because I didn't even remember. Nevertheless, I have baked the first cake in my life! In Norway ;) Otherwise, I probably wouldn't even try. (Shh!) 


Delights of Czech Republic.


Russian and Austrian delicacies.


We brought some music from our countries, but songs from Czech Republic were unbeatable, because Tereza sang and played them herself. I have to admit that she is a really gifted musician ;)


Happy students with baloons :)

PS. Almost all food disappeared very quickly, which is very nice - I hope people liked our amateur & traditional bakings. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment